Wednesday, April 11, 2012

On the road again...memorizing scripture

“My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises.” ~ Psalm 119:148 (NIV).

The voices we hear come from three places…God, Satan and ourselves. I heard someone telling me several years ago to try to memorize scripture. I know it would not have been Satan telling me that, and it surely was not from me. It had to be from God.

God told me to memorize one scripture a day for the 40 days before my birthday as a present to myself. Although I had never tried to memorize bible verses for over thirty years, I gave it a try. After all, who does not want a present for their birthday, especially one from God.

It was actually very easy to do. I wrote the scripture on a note card each day and carried it in my pocket. Whenever I had a spare moment I would read it and try to say it from memory.

After the forty days I would wake up and think of a book in the bible and then recite the verses I knew in that book. In the 40 days I was using the verses I had memorized in conversation and while praying with others.

God has been pinging me lately to memorize scripture on healing to use when praying with others to be healed. The first two days were easy as I just pulled out two verses on healing I already knew. I had no plans what to do from there on.

The second day on the way home from work, I heard a sermon on the radio that encouraged people to memorize God’s Holy Word. If this was not enough confirmation that I was supposed to continue doing it, I was chatting with my wife over dinner that night and she was telling me how she had been thinking about memorizing scripture.

So guess what? God has got me back on track meditating on his word day and night and my wife is doing it too. Thank you God for giving me confirmation that I am supposed to do this and thanks for giving me my wife to help motivate me as she learns your word too.

“Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers.” ~ Psalm 1:1-3 (NIV).

Led By The Spirit,

Rick Hawbaker
Praying 4 U Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment