Monday, November 28, 2011

‘Increase my desire to know you more.’

"…make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love." 2 Peter 1:5-7 (NIV).

I sat in the back of a mega church on December 27th, 2007 and heard a pastor encouraging the flock. His message for the coming year encouraged everyone to make their calling and election sure.

He encouraged those that felt they were stuck to take one step in the right direction and he continued ‘the cost of staying stuck is always greater than the cost of taking the next step.’

He is a story teller and to us stuck in our deep ruts, he had a message. The thing that I benefited most from that day was how he ended. He asked everyone to pray to God, ‘Increase my desire to know you more.’

I have prayed that prayer many times since, not just that one day or just in the coming weeks of that new year. I have continued to pray for an increased desire to know Him and God has answered my prayer.

You can stay stuck surrounded by darkness like I was or come to the light like I have since. Wherever you are in your walk with the LORD, pray that he will indeed increase your desire to know him more.

"Therefore, my brothers and sisters,make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble,and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:10-11 (NIV).

Shalom,

Rick Hawbaker
Praying 4 U Ministries †

No comments:

Post a Comment